Monday, January 7, 2013

Cancer, we need to talk.

Dear Cancer,

It's probably best if I just come right out and say this. We both know it's been coming for some time.

Things just aren't working out between us.

From the beginning, our relationship was dysfunctional. No one approved of our union.  Friends, family - even complete strangers - knew it wasn't right for us to be together.  But I had no choice.  Fate united us.

As you well know, things between us progressed far too quickly.  Before I knew it, my entire world revolved around you. You took away my innocence.  You took away people that I loved. You forced me to watch helplessly as you dragged others into your caustic lifestyle.

You tried to suck the life right out of me.

Early on, I knew I wanted you out of my life.  It took everything I had to do it.  But I'm stronger now.  Stronger than you could ever be.

 And whatever we had - well - It's over now.

I'm breaking up with you, Cancer.   And in the immortal words of a certain pop diva - We are never, ever getting back together.  Ever. 

So stay away from me.  Stay away from my family and friends.   I will forgive what you've done to me - but I will never forget.


And just so we are perfectly clear:  It's not me - It's you.

Sincerely,

Heather

Celebratory dinner at the Davenport Hotel. Cheers to health!
 Happy to be moving on with "real life" (whatever that may look like)!

Bilateral mastectomy June 4
Six rounds of Carboplatin, Taxotere, Trastuzamab and Herceptin completed October 25
29 radiation treatments completed December 28


8 comments:

  1. Yay! Good riddens. It's about time you unloaded that shitty baggage. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad this has finally happened! We HATED that jerk! xoxoxoxMoM&PoP

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I will have to say Heather, it is about time you got on with your life without "you know who"..."the one who will not be named". Don't look back. Concentrate on the here and now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your my hero....First on prayers...Fuck Cancer..You deserve the best...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said, Heather---well said!!!!!

    But I will miss your blogs--maybe you'll continue, finding a really happy subject??

    ReplyDelete
  6. You go girl! Leave that nasty ole baggage behind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! Thank you for sharing this journey with us, you have a talent for writing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cheers and congratulations! Thank you for sharing your journey with us. I'm so happy to read about the break-up.

    ReplyDelete